Dental hygiene treatment is delivered by a specially trained dental hygienist who will help to remove any hard-to-reach plaque from your teeth that may have built up over time. Here is what you can expect from a hygiene appointment:
- Your teeth and gums will be assessed to determine the amount of plaque removal you will need and risk factors will be highlighted.
- Your teeth will be professionally cleaned with special equipment and pastes. This process is also known as scaling and polishing.
- The hygienist’s role is to show you how to look after your teeth so that they remain free from plaque in the future. You will be advised on the best tooth brushing technique and given tips on flossing and using interdental brushes.
Dental hygiene at our practice also functions preventatively to treat gum disease and bad breath. If you have a bridge, denture, orthodontic treatment or a dental implant you will have specific hygiene needs that the hygienist will be able to assist you with.
It is recommended that you come in for regular hygiene appointments to ensure your mouth stays clean and healthy.
- Minimised risk of tooth loss.
- Reduced risk of developing tooth decay and need for fillings.
- Fresh minty breath.
At Jamie Pugh Dental Healthcare Ltd we are due to launch a new dental hygiene treatment. Guided Biofilm Therapy (GBT) This used gentle, state of the art technology AIRFLOW ® to clean and polish the teeth. More technically speaking, the procedure removes biofilm, stains and young calculus on natural teeth, fillings and implants. The AIRFLOW ® also uses warm water so is an ideal treatment for patients who avoid seeing the hygienist due to having sensitive teeth.
Guided Biofilm Therapy (GBT) is an 8-stage process for gentle but deep teeth cleaning, using the EMS AIRFLOW ® machine. GBT is a predictable procedure for the removal of biofilm (bacterial flora which forms plaque), stains and young calculus from teeth, implants, restorations, orthodontic appliances and from above and below the gum line.
Benefits of the procedure
There are three key benefits of Guided Biofilm Therapy and AIRFLOW® compared to normal cleaning and polishing:
- AIRFLOW® is the ONLY technology that removes biofilm from all the nooks and crannies around your mouth, for example, deep pits and fissures, interdental spaces, crowded teeth and around implants. It is also a fantastic way to clean the areas around fixed orthodontic braces!
- GBT is extremely gentle and minimally invasive, preserving the integrity of natural teeth, implants and fillings. The GBT and AIRFLOW® system is also the gentlest way to clean teeth and remove staining.
- GBT is a very comfortable procedure at each of 8 stages. The AIRFLOW® machine uses warm water so we are able to use the treatment for areas of recession and normally sensitive areas without needing local anaesthetic.